Sour Patch Oreos

Sour Patch Oreos 

In April 2024, the sandwich cookie gods released Sour Patch Oreos onto grocery store shelves. Sour Patch Kids, much like Taylor Swift, rebrand every few decades to keep up with pop culture trends. In the 70s, they were Martians to reflect the space craze. In the 80s, they were marketed as kids to embody Cabbage Patch fever, but they were not portrayed as mischievous as the current iteration. Does Nabisco's interpretation elevate this wildly popular treat? Let's find out! We are B and V, and WE RATE OREOS!  


Creativity
B- This cookie aimed high for creativity... Higher than any cookie should...

V- Yeah! Few have attempted to turn a sweet and sour candy into a cookie to this extent. I love to bake, but I have no clue how to make a cookie taste like sour candy. I am thrilled that someone did it though, so I don't have to die not knowing!

Execution
V- I was shocked by how much I liked these. The human element of Sour Patch Kids freaks me out too much to eat them, but I love the flavors! Thanks, Nabisco, for putting Sour Patch Kids into a form I actually enjoy! Every aspect, from the golden cookies with sour patch flecks to the creme, has an aggressive sour flavor. I didn't get the sweetness that comes after though. Sour candies really have to be your niche if you are going to be into these.

B- I got a strong lemony taste to start which was followed by just a straight up sour sensation. Be prepared to wake-up your taste buds, folks. The cookie part is vanilla so it's the cream that has all the bite.  It stays true to the sourness of the candy, but, as V said, unlike the candy it lacks the sweet follow-thru. 

Does it Sparkle?
B- The cover art is spot on. It teases the neon lime and electric yellow colors of the classic sour patch candy bag. There's even a little candy kid sliding down the cookie and holding a dynamite stick... it's fun and cheeky!

V- Yes! The packaging is so cool. It's green, and then it fades to yellow. It's a gorgeous artistic statement on the changing flavor profiles that make Sour Patch Kids infamous. If only the cookies actually had the effect! Cookies with colorful sprinkles or flecks always look awesome too. No notes!


Pairing 
V- My drink parings this week are about vibe rather than flavor matching. These would look stellar alongside a colorful fruity drink! I am thinking a strawberry daiquiri or a blue lagoon cocktail. Happy summer!

B- No idea. Maybe mineral water? What else offsets the taste of tequila??

Buy Again?
B- Absolutely not. If I crave Sour Patch then I will buy the OG.

V- Maybe? My students really liked them! 

Overall 
V- So good. And so weird.

B- Cookies are not meant to be sour. Feel free to engrave that on my tombstone because I will die on this hill. 


Creativity

Execution

Does it Sparkle?

Pairing

Buy Again

Overall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Space Dunk Oreos

Black and White Oreos

Super Mario Oreos