Lady GaGa Oreos

Going Gaga!

Let's hear some "Applause!" In January 2021, Nabisco released the limited edition Lady Gaga-inspired Oreos in honor of her album, Chromatica. The pink cookies and green frosting make for a unique combination in Oreo's 109-year history. Lady Gaga is an icon, feminist, and image innovator. She uses her platform as an international superstar to promote kindness and tolerance. In the past few years, we at WeRateOreos are thrilled to see Nabisco take an increasingly bold role as they use their powerful brand to align with ideas and artists who encourage people to accept and love each other. We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS!

Creativity

V - The Lady Gaga Oreos are pink vanilla cookies with classic creme (but green). The theme here has all of my love! The pink and green combo is fun, bold, and truly stands out. Years ago, I was lucky enough to see her in concert and she went ALL THE WAY with each song. There were aliens and robots and costume changes galore! I feel like Nabisco, in honor of Gaga, could have gone just a little further to match her level and given us a fun flavor to compliment her engaging personality. 

B - I agree with the last part of V's assertion: it was creative in terms of style but I would've liked to have seen something with the flavor change. They could've called the flavor something weird like "stardom", "Gaga", or even "Chromatica" to promote the album further. And then you'd have to visit Oreo or Lady Gaga's website to uncover the real flavor... They should totally hire me as a marketing agent. 

Execution 

B - Flavor-wise the cookie part tasted like Playdough to me (not that I've eaten Playdough or anything). It was also crunchier than usual - like when something is on the verge of going stale - except these were not stale. The cream thankfully didn't taste like dye despite the neon color - although it will dye your fingers green a little bit! 

V - Chromatica fans will appreciate the pink and green colors that perfectly compliment her album art. Or maybe you just know her older stuff? Not an issue! The cookie's odd color scheme is weird, feminine, and reflective of her bold and creative style. The little designs on the cookies beautifully express hearts, her album name in fine lettering, and alien-futuristic Lady Gaga in bubblegum-pink dystopian armor! What's not to love?


Does it Sparkle?

B - The appearance is bold and memorable. Just as intended. The green for me was a little too reminiscent of slime though (any 90's kids out there?!). And I'm not sure about that design V mentioned that is a singer with a microphone... I swear all I see is the tail from Alien vs. Predator. Also, aliens kind of scare me. I digress. The outside of the package itself gets full points though: they went way out of the Oreo realm; it was bright and shiny and pink. 

V - Each cookie looks like a mini pop concert! Once you open the package and get to the contents, you know these are Gaga-inspired as the cookies reflect art from her album. "Chromatica" often expresses a sort of "pink box" or metaphorical societal standards so many women are pressured to live up to regarding beauty, professionalism, and so much more. Pan to the Gaga Oreos, where the pink packaging is made to look messily ripped apart to reveal the pink and green cookies inside. There are so many positive avenues to take this symbolism. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I have NEVER seen Nabisco be this literary with their brand. Well-done! 

Pairing

V - This is a tough one! I love the Gaga aesthetic, but the flavor is UBER-SWEET. My advice: embrace the sweetness and accentuate it with mead, sherry, or dessert wine of your choice. 

B - Idk, what do pop stars pair things with?  Drug of choice? Overpriced champagne? I really am at a loss on this one. Maybe something vanilla. Or something CBD-infused. 

Buy Again?

V - I enjoyed these! But now I am waiting for the next album-Oreo celebration, so probably not.

B - While I appreciate Gaga's music, I take a definite pass on these cookies. 

The Ratings!
Creativity

Execution

Aesthetics

Pairing

Buy Again?

Overall

Comments

  1. I saw these in the store and knew instantly that I would wait to purchase until I read this review. That said, I do not think I will be purchasing. They could have done something really exciting with this cookie and they did not. It's 2021 - we got a vaccine for a brand new disease in just under a year. But we can't get more innovation with a LADY GAGA cookie!?
    I would have liked to see creme that changes color in milk (costume change) or different colors all in the same package at the very least.
    I am not feeling this green color either. Also - with a cookie that color of pink, they couldn't do a pink champagne flavor? If it can be a cake, surely it can be a cookie. I think that would have really made this cookie pop.

    Anyway - thanks B & V - ya'll are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Just saw your comment, Jess. YES! Go avant-garde or go home, right? It's passionate readers like you that fuel our Oreo fire!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos