Space Dunk Oreos

Killer Oreos From Outer Space
January 29th, 2024, in a galaxy far far away, Nabisco's Space Dunk Oreos hit shelves! With probe Odysseus landing on the moon (the first one in decades to do so) in February and the rare eclipse happening in April, we have been partying to the moon and back! Maybe we'll finally get to meet the aliens! While this is not the first marshmallow-flavored space Oreo, it is the first to add pop rocks to the creme. Do the Space Dunk Oreos live up to the 2024 intergalactic hype? Let's find out together. We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS!


Creativity
V- Pop rocks and marshmallow as a flavor combo is certainly unique! If you liked it (like I did), then the risk paid off and you might find it creative. If you didn't like it, it may come across as a bizarre pairing that is more focused on being unique or edgy than flavorful. I am giving it creativity points because the theme and flavors were wacky, but it worked! I also love how, for this edition, they elevated their last space-themed Oreo (marshmallow moon) with the popping candy. 

B- Super creative. Love the pop rocks, love the random QR code on the package that you can use to learn about space and play games (there was a portal in my living room!), love the high-contrast cream color. I definitely think they could have named this "Moon Rocks" instead, but 'Space Dunk' is cool, too. 

Execution
B- Unfortunately, I did not like the flavor of the cream at all. Apparently, it is supposed to be marshmallow-flavored. At first bite, I tasted cotton candy, but then I got a soapy aftertaste. Maybe from the pop rocks? I am not sure. They needed to put in stronger vanilla or something. Caveat: It is possible that my new meds have fully thrown off my palette altogether so don't necessarily take just my word for it.

V- The marshmallow aspect of the creme was difficult to detect but omg, I loved the pop rocks! I was transported! My students and I had so much fun trying these. I was okay with missing the marshmallow because I've never been a fan of marshmallow Oreos. As an unpaid Oreo professional through, I do think the marshmallow aspect should have been stronger. Own the flavors you are advertising, Nabisco! Be bold! Stand by what you're selling!

Does it Sparkle?
V- Yes! The packaging is beautiful, with pink and purple space dust and stars birthing a new Oreo. The chocolate cookies have crisp rocket ship, spaceman, and star designs! There are funky pink and blueish layers of marshmallow creme. It's weird and wonderful. The whole vibe feels retro in an arcade, laser tag, "Space Invaders" kind of way. Nabisco perfectly captured 80s cosmic nostalgia. 

B- Sparkles like a starry night sky or a rocket ship. That's how much it sparkles. For real, though, these are bright and eye-catching. The colors are enough neon to be out of this world!

Pairing
B- Pair with my lavender-scented garbage bags because that's right where they went...

V- This is tricky! What do you pair with pop rocks and marshmallow? What new flavor could possibly be added cohesively? I have an answer! Champagne (or a non-French knockoff)! It's bubbly, sweet, and celebratory, just like these Oreos! 

Buy Again?
B- Nope, even the rest of my household wouldn't finish the first package.

V- I would if I were sharing with other people. I love the pop rocks.

Overall 
V- Risks were taken, and I respect that! In some ways it paid off, but other aspects could have had a little more love.

B- Wanted to love these because I loved the idea but just could not love eating the cookies. 


Creativity
Execution 
Does it Sparkle?
Pairing
Buy Again
Overall

Don't Forget...
Want more Oreos? Follow us on Instagram at werateoreosbv



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Cotton Candy Oreos