Firework Oreos

"Baby, You're a Firework!"

Firework Oreos were first introduced in July 2017 and have been summer constants ever since. 2021's edition sports USA-themed cookie art and red, white, and blue creme layers with Pop Rocks/exploding candy inside. Fun fact about Pop Rocks: throughout the 1970s, urban legend had it that combining Pop Rocks with soda would cause people to explode! This has since been proven to be unequivocally false. But maybe the Firework Oreos will "spark" new lore for future generations. We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS!

Creativity

V - Def creative. I have traveled far and wide, and this is the only cookie with exploding candy I've ever seen. You may remember last summer when we rated the red, white, and blue Oreos meant to celebrate July festivities and the Olympics. Nabisco could have easily just released those again, but they built on the concept until they had the best summer cookie they could think up. Aesthetically and flavor-wise, the Firework Oreos reflect progress (We had the Olympics this year!) and better days (even if we still have a long road ahead). 

B - Initially, I thought these were the same ones as last year (and I complained about it, too). The cover art looks very similar. The pop rocks were what made this treat for me though. Like V, I have also never met a baked good that contained pop rocks. Therefore, I found these to be very creative in their use. Basically, these are all the good things about the Olympics Oreos from before but with an extra "pop." Pun intended. 

Execution

V - Of course, you cannot have a cookie that literally tastes like a firework. It would be all ashy! Here, Nabisco successfully uses the pop rocks to express the joy and surprise that firework shows convey. My favorite part is how the exploding candy is not an obvious component until you bite into the Oreo. You do not see the pop rocks embedded in the layers of creme, but you will taste them and it will be otherworldly! 

B - Yaaaaaaaas. I was not able to see the pop rocks with the naked eye either, but I could totally feel them! They also kept the colorful and patriotic appearance I would desire from a July and Olympic themed cookie. 

Does it Sparkle?

B - They do. I wanted the container to have a little more bombast or shininess or something but the cookies themselves are pretty. That's my only criticism. That and I also wanted a tad more pop rock action. Tbh, I was totally ready to leave a scathing review on these, thinking I would dislike them - but I obviously ended up liking them after trying them. 

V - Yes! The red, white, and blue layers are CRISP. I feel like a badly-done version of this could have easily turned out a swampy purpley-brown color. The decorations are cute and festive, and you can absolutely tell what they are! The POV is clear and I am here for it.

Pairing

V - Pop Rocks and cocktails actually make a fun pairing! Go for a summer martini with Pop Rocks on the rim if you're feeling fancy. Cranberry juice, lemonade, and any fruity thing you might get at a 4th of July party would work too. 

B - For some reason I want to pair these with a fancy hot chocolate... Like the stuff with whipped cream and such. But I also think I might just be craving hot cocoa... Might I suggest some celebratory champagne?  The bubbles and the popping should make a never-dull sensory experience for your mouth. 



Buy Again?

B - Yes. Except I would probably offer them to friends but not tell them that they had pop rocks in them and wait for a reaction he he he. 

V - Yes! Probably next summer. I've gotten them before so this purchase was a "buy again." They are fun to take to parties because people are always surprised by how much they like them. 

Creativity

Execution

Aesthetics

Pairing

Buy Again?

Overall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos