Lemon Oreos



Lemonly Bliss
Humans have used lemon for cooking and baking for over 2500 years! Nabisco also has a surprisingly deep history with the flavor, first releasing Lemon Oreos during the 1920s. Many of the decade's cherished staples did not survive the test of time (tuna jello salad, anyone?) but lemon has never gone out of style. Nabisco re-released Lemon Oreos in 2012-2013 and they have been a permanent edition ever since. Will this deceptively simple treat endure forever? We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS!




Flavor Creativity
V- Although this is absolute my favorite of the special Oreos, Nabisco would need to take these cookies a little further for full creativity points. I would love to see a "Lemon Bar" or "Strawberry Lemonade" Oreo someday! Some Oreos push people out of their comfort zone, while others market simplicity and familiarity. Nothing wrong with that! 

B- I agree with V. Lemon is a pretty traditional dessert filling and flavor. I'd even throw "Lemon Meringue" or "Lemon Blueberry" into the hat for future ideas.

Flavor Execution
B- Very lemony. Like a sharp lemony. Not as sweet as I would've liked.  I needed a secondary flavor to tamper the lemon-ness of it.

V- These are hard-core lemon. And be warned, the lemon creme is intense! But for a lemon adorer like myself, this is everything I want in a cookie. It's like an entire glass of lemonade was condensed into a square inch of creme. I appreciate how these Oreos accentuate the sweet side of lemon as well as the sour. Paired with the vanilla cookies, this is the perfect summer sweet treat.




Does it Sparkle?
V- Yes! The creme holds a rich golden color, which stands out nicely against the light vanilla cookies. It's difficult to make any bright yellow food concoction look natural, but Nabisco somehow made it work!

B-  They do look nice. Plump and yellow like they were just picked off a tree. The light shortbread cookies and daffodil cream make for a summery feel.

Pairing
B- Pair maybe with black coffee? And then dip them in the coffee. And then throw them in the trash. 

V- Lemon and lavender get along famously! I enjoyed the Lemon Oreos with a matcha-lavender tea over ice from my favorite local coffee place. Avoid matching these with lemonade (too overwhelming), and get a little creative with your pairings instead. 




Buy Again?
B-  No, not a fan; I couldn't even finish the package.  

V- I've been buying these pretty consistently now for years. Lemon Oreos, more so than the originals even, have become my "staple Oreo."

Final Thoughts
V- These are my favorite special Oreos! I hope they last last at least another 100 years. They just make me so happy! 

B- Too much filling. I actually checked the box to see if I had accidentally gotten the double stuff ones. I do think the thins would be very good in this, but I didn't care for the regular. Also: I could only find these in family size quantity... why?



Flavor Creativity
   
Flavor Execution
    
Aesthetics
    
Pairing
   
Buyability
   
Overall
   

Want more Oreos? Subscribe above, and follow us on Insta at werateoreosbv

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos