Tiramisu Oreos

Tiramisu, I Love You!
Holy Cannoli! Nabisco is taking on Italian desserts with their Tiramisu Oreos released last April. Tiramisu history is layered and complex, just like the dessert itself. A scholarly dive will take you to food historians insisting tiramisu was invented in the 17th century while others argue it came to be as late as the 1970s. Was this decadent treat a product of baroque culture or 70s funk? The world may never know. We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS!


Flavor Creativity
B- Full points here! Tiramisu is a complex dessert to make. I haven't even tried my limited baking skills on it yet because of that reputation. Also, you don't see many other "tiramisu flavored" products out there. A single cookie tackling an espresso-brandy-mascarpone flavor fest... I'd say Nabisco got creative. 

V- These have my creative stamp of approval! Rarely do I see Oreos taking on so elegant and complex a dessert. Nabisco took the flavors of an upscale Italian bakery and made them accessible to a Midwesterner like myself. Tiramisu cookies specifically are few and far between, but not for lack of interesting flavors! 

Flavor Execution
V- Tiramisu usually has just a light sprinkle of cocoa, but I have no issues with the regular cookies adding more chocolate to the mix. The light brown middle layer is warm (not too bitter) espresso while the cream layer emulates sweet mascarpone cheese. Each flavor component feels uniquely crafted to both work with and stand apart from the other flavors. Even if the balance of flavors was a little different than traditional tiramisu, the true essence of the dessert was present.

B-  It's been awhile since I've had tiramisu proper, but I thought the flavor was good. It's definitely unique; I wouldn't mistake the taste for something else or like a different Oreo flavor by accident. The only thing is the original dessert may be a little stronger flavor especially with the bold and bitter tones, while this highlights the sweeter side of this dessert.



Does it Sparkle?
V- Beautiful cookies! It was fun to open the box and immediately see all the neat little layers! 

B- It's pretty. The colors are a two tone of light cream and warm taupe. It reminds me of over-creamed coffee. But like if you separated that aesthetic into parts...

Pairing
B- Not with anything sweet. I tried this with white wine and it became a bit cloying. I couldn't really taste the flavor anymore with that combination.

V-  Many tiramisu recipes call for a hint of liquor! A bit of brandy or even dark rum would compliment the flavors nicely. 



Buy Again?
B- Probably not, but that's just based on my personal preference and buying habits. The novelty really went a long way with me here. But for me to re-buy them for my house, they have to really rank in my top three. Or be able to be combined with peanut butter.

V- If they were permanent editions, probably at some point! But now I am just excited for the next new flavor.  

Final Thoughts
V- These were good! I am not a huge coffee person, so I was thrilled those flavors were so subtle. 

B- Tiramisu is a little soggy usually, but I love anything which incorporates coffee or is a dessert so I still like it and eat it on principle. This cookie was especially good because it captured the flavor without the moistness and softness. Plus, it added that extra crispy/crunch!  

Flavor Creativity 
Flavor Execution

Aesthetics

Pairing

Buyability


Overall




Want more Oreos? Subscribe above, and follow us on Insta at werateoreosbv ðŸ˜Š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos