Caramel Coconut Oreos

Caramel Coconut 
Caramel Coconut is a classic combination, right up with ice cream + cake, grilled cheese + tomato soup, chips + salsa, and pineapple + pizza (controversial, I know). Done correctly, the coconut provides flaky texture while the caramel offers a sugary toasty flavor. In January 2020, Nabisco released Caramel Coconut Oreos, "coincidentally" during Girl Scout cookie season. Is this a challenge to Samoas? Is the cookie world more brutal than we thought? Today, we'll judge Nabisco's claim in the caramel-coconut market. We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS! 




Flavor Creativity
B- It's been done (Girl Scouts), but it's more unique than having either coconut or caramel individually. That being said, I had one family member who loved the combination and another who would've preferred just coconut instead.

V- When I think creative dessert combos, my mind conjures up ice cream with fries or melted chocolate over salty chips. The Caramel Coconut Oreos are a more classic flavor profile, promising a delicious combo people already know and love. Nothing wrong with that!

Flavor Execution
V- The Caramel Coconut Oreos are good, but not in the way they are advertised. The creme has a strong mocha vibe to it and I didn't pick up on the coconut flakes that could have otherwise provided lovely flavor and texture.The caramel saves the day, however, and comes in loud and clear. With the chocolate sandwich components, this is still a winning Oreo. The cookies exude caramel's signature warmth and sugary goodness, just not coconut.

B-  Agreed with V. The smooth caramel definitely comes out more than the coconut. Out of the whole pack, I only got maybe a single coconut flake in three cookies total. It would've been nice to have more of those inside the cookies.



Does it Sparkle?
V- The cookies themselves are pretty. Nabisco got that golden brown color for the creme just right. The packaging confuses me. They are advertised simply as Caramel Coconut but the casing depicts a slice of chocolate caramel coconut cake! Not a significant difference, but I like to know exactly what I am tasting for.

B-  Yep! The coloration is natural and enticing. The packaging didn't confuse me but did make me *want* cake instead.

Pairing
B- I won't recommend the melon-flavored heavily vodka-infused collegiate-like punch I actually paired them with... But maybe a more bitter coffee like espresso or a very spiced drink that the smoothness of the caramel can match or offset the tones of, respectively.

V- Three's not always a crowd! Pair your caramel and coconut delights with warm spices. I recommend hot chocolate with a dash of cinnamon. A chai latte with nutmeg also pairs nicely.  

Buy Again?
B- No. Although the aforementioned family member did. Twice. Haha.

V- No, but I had fun trying them. I hope Oreo releases them again someday and keeps working on the recipe. They could be something special but Rome wasn't built in a day!



Final Thoughts
V- I prefer Samoas but they've been in the market a little longer, Oreo, so don't be too hard on yourself!

B- Samoas: 2. Oreo: 0.

Flavor Creativity 


Flavor Execution



Aesthetics



Pairing



Buyability



Overall




Want more Oreos? Subscribe above, and follow us on Insta at werateoreosbv ðŸ˜Š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos