Marshmallow Moon

Our Delicious Moon
July marks the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's giant leap for mankind and Oreos released their Marshmallow Moon flavor in June 2019 to celebrate. It's an exciting edition to humans' centuries-long tradition of associating the moon with delicious treats. Medieval fables imagine the moon is made of cheese, Japanese folklore claims that one can see a "rabbit making rice cakes" on the cratered surface, and chocolaty Moon Pies adorn U.S. grocery store shelves. Do these cookies finally capture that elusive "moon-taste?" Let's see! We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS! 




Flavor Creativity
V- The Marshmallow Moons are creative! The cookies' spaceship and moon designs, periwinkle filling, and glow-in-the-dark packaging are all new to the Oreo world. It's not often that our favorite snack foods celebrate historical events! 

B- Full points for creativity. I don't know any other desserts or food products that are celebrating the moon landing anniversary. 


Flat cookie not to be confused with the Earth's shape!


Flavor Execution

V- What does the moon taste like? I don't usually think of marshmallows and am more privy to the  cheese theory. And a cream cheese Oreo would be AMAZING. But for marshmallow cream fans (Oreo has done this a few times now), the Marshmallow Moons deliver!

B- The cream basically tastes like Lucky Charms marshmallows (Disclaimer: no, we do not get kickbacks from General Mills for any additional sales inspired by cravings from this blog). While the first bite is great, unfortunately the flavor fades pretty quickly after that though. 


Does it Sparkle?
V- Yes! They sparkle hard! It took me a second and a few squints before I saw how the package glows in the dark, but A for effort! I thought the purple filling was nice, it reminded me of early evening and is way more interesting that just plain white. 

B -  I was a little underwhelmed with the aesthetic, tbh. The glow-in-the-dark concept was great but the execution was sub-par. In a very dark room you can see a little bit of glowing on the "marshmallow" and "m_ _ n" but it's hard to make out. Oh, and the filling color isn't really purple, it's more of a dark grayish blue color. What is it called, slate?  But it basically looks like the result of that kid in art class who used to mix the purple and black paint together. Brat.



Pairing

V- If I am going to eat a cookie that makes me ponder the enormity of the universe, then I at least need some calming iced tea (for the summer months) or hot chocolate with more marshmallows if it's a cool night.

B- I ended up eating an mint Oreo flurry after trying this to sate my sweet tooth. So I'd probably say pair with ice cream? I mean it's marshmallow so anything you wouldn't mind mixing with that. Bananas, chocolate, idk. Just like go star gaze and bring the whole box with you. 



Perfectly carved Waning Crescent!


Buy Again?
B- It's a "no" for me. I liked the novelty but that was most of the positive in this cookie for me. 

V- No, but I almost never buy Oreos again unless they are lemon flavored or I am buying them for a friend. These were easy to get and should be all over the shelves. I am moving to a small town next month though and am genuinely worried about future Oreo availability!


Final Thoughts
V- These are fun! Enjoy them and don't take them too seriously. We don't really know what the moon tastes like anyway.

B- I'd say it was a great idea but the effort was closer to just having been given 'the good old college try.' Don't forget about the stickers on the back of the package!

Flavor Creativity



Flavor Execution



Aesthetics



Pairing



Buyability



Overall



Want more Oreos? Subscribe above! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos