Pistachio Oreo Thins


Pistachio: The Joyful Nut
Pistachio! What a fun word to say! Archaeological evidence dates pistachios back to 7000 B.C. in what is now Turkey. Today, they hold a strong global presence and positive energy. They are called "the smiling nut" in Iran, the "happy nut" in China, and "the love nut" in parts of Europe. It's earthy, it's nutty, and an ice cream shop staple. In June 2018, Nabisco released pistachio flavor Oreo Thins and we cannot wait to get crackin' on today's review. We are B and V and WE RATE OREOS!
Flavor Creativity
V- These Oreos are very good, but I can't give them major points for creativity. Pistachio is already a well-established dessert in cakes, pies, and even bubble tea! The Pistachio Oreo is more of a trend follower than a trendsetter.

B- Mmm don't forget about pistachio muffins. True. I still think compared to like peanut butter it's moderately creative though.


Flavor Execution
V- If you enjoy pistachio ice cream then you will like this cookie! They don't taste like the actual nuts as much as the artificial flavor goodness you'll find in many popular pistachio desserts. These are to real pistachios as Watermelon Jolly Rancher is to actual watermelons. It has its own unique flavor slightly resembling pistachio and it works.

B- I will agree with V here in that they don't taste like the nut but I prefer the artificial flavor to actual pistachios. I've heard it's heavy on the almond extract which is how they achieve the flavoring. So, I shared some with an acquaintance the other day and she said she wouldn't have known they were pistachio until I told her they were, but then she could taste the pistachio in it after once she knew. Crazy what the brain can do and how it interprets the senses.
Does it Sparkle?
B- I find them sweetly refreshing. They've got that cool green cucumber color. And it's not a gross green since I'd expect pistachio to be green. Likewise, the thin size adds to the appeal of its appearance too. It feels like a light cookie. But still packs a punch of flavor even though you can pop them in one bite. Doesn't hurt that you can eat 4 for only 140 calories!  

V- Yes. The chocolate cookies and light green filling get you in the mood for springtime. 

Pairing
V-  I've been enjoying them with mint tea. I think these would be good crumbled over vanilla ice cream. The thins would add a nice flavorful touch without overpowering anything.

B- I definitely had these with coffee on my morning commute to work... Definitely also had them while drinking prosecco... They're rather versatile with pairing. I feel like these would be a good follow-up to Mediterranean food. Those dishes seem to use a lot of pistachio so it seems the logical post-lamb dessert.  

Buy Again?
B- Definitely. 

V- Yes! I first bought these in July 2018. I was three months into living in Kansas and brought them in for my new coworkers. I didn't like them on that first try, but at least my adventurous junkfood habits won everyone over. They always do! I've since moved home to Ohio, tried them again, and liked them. Weird, right? 


Deconstructed Oreo-Pistachio Combo
Final Thoughts
V- Pistachio Oreo Thins are simple and good. Don't be freaked out by the green filling. These Oreos have been on the shelves for almost a year now for a reason. 

B- Unless you hate pistachio, you'll enjoy these. Even if you're on the fence about pistachio, you probably would like these. I thought I would hate the idea of thin cookies, but in this case, it compliments the flavor quite well. 


Flavor Creativity




Flavor Execution



Aesthetics



Pairing



Buyability



Overall



You already want to come back for more Oreos! Subscribe at the top of the page and be the first to tune into our next post. We are on Instragram now! Follow us at werateoreosbv 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookies-N-Cream

Space Dunk Oreos

Cotton Candy Oreos